Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Toward a new figuration, I suppose.

I may be working figuratively again. That is, if I wasn't already before...

I'm still not clear on the nomenclature regarding style in the art world. Does figurative mean that one's work necessarily involves the figure? (The human figure??) Is all other work dealing with things from reality simply representational? What about work dealing with things that don't necessarily exist in reality, but could? Is that surrealism, or is that an art-historical term reserved for Dali and crew? Perhaps it's a matter of capitalization, surrealism versus Surrealism.

Anyway, I may be painting figuratively works with people in them for the first time in quite a while. I've been having the urge to, but putting it off or denying it because "I don't paint figurative work." But I paint from my gut, so those urges are all I've got. If I can't listen to myself, that doesn't leave me with much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go for it. Can't wait to see the new stuff.

III said...

I always loved the visceral/biological qualities of your art, but I don't recall anything so representational,... even in your photography! love it..

it seems like a lot of your work consists of creation of forms, often in well developed & congruent-with-the-forms (if not manifesting) environments, but your style of portrayal is highly organic, so you imbue these ambiguous and imaginative forms with life (perhaps tortured, plasmic, or primordial).

but I dig this reversal- abstract the anatomical.. it seems to allow your style to be less carnal (because the "life" is in the object in the first place, you can treat the corporeal components as integral forms that carry meaning through exploring their plasticity and inter-relations) and more readily suggestive. (instead of finding meaning in forms through seeking metaphors for them [that reminds me of..& it makes me feel..], there is no anthropomorphic/how does this relate to my experience leg-work necessary from the viewer and it becomes a most immediate, holistic encounter)

parallel: your handling of light. I've always been struck by your manipulation of lighting effects; so many of those enigmatically vital forms seem to be lit internally, like light is passing through flesh (affording the environments a sense of "inner life"), but the figure seems like it allows you to treat it like a sold form that light plays upon, as if light and shade are exclusive factors to the body- the difference being where light used to interact with the fundamental material of the forms, light becomes a boundary marker- it defines and describes the "mold" and texture of the figure.

anyway, very impressed by this new exploration! every artist has a style, but artistic virtuosity is the meaningfully adaptation of style to evoke the intended mood. (I love that you're not only investigating a new subject, but, it seems, assimilating a new style too) rad, rad, rad!!